top of page

Texas Reptile & Small Animal Rescue 

Redesign of a nonprofit website focused on the rescue and adoption of reptiles and small animals. 



Texas Reptile & Small Animal Rescue (TR&SAR) is a one of the first nonprofits based in Conroe, Tx that specializes in the rescue of reptiles, parrots, and exotics in Texas . The director, Nikki Pesek,  has dedicated over 20 years on the surrender and rescue of these animals. With the current website, the focus was to increase the adoption rate by creating more opportunities for users to  interact before the adoption rate.

Team Members

Persephone Shah, Anthony Bernardelli, and Javier Fernandez

My Role

UX/UI Designer


Website was not conducive to increasing adoptions of reptiles and small animals that have been rescued by the nonprofit.


Creating a website that focuses on adoption of animals as well as educating the users about the animals that are mentioned.


Figma, Miro, Invision,

The Process:













Through conducted research I wanted to explore the reasons why potential clients are reluctant to adopt reptiles and other small animals. With a competitor's analysis to determine the opportunities the organization could consider improving on in comparison to other organizations, we decided a simple yet informative redesign would be achieved through providing pictures and information of animals that were up for adoption. 

To have a better idea on which elements of the website to focus on we conducted a competitor analysis, Using direct competitors being Animal Defense League and Rescue Me!, they focused on the adoption and surrender of animals but had issues with navigation and organization of their websites. Indirect competitors being Snake Farm and Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation focused on being a sanctuary and for entertainment purposes whereas their weakness lies in mainly navigation for the Wildlife Rescue.


Redlining was a must, as there was multiple issues with the current design such as the distracting background, multiple text and picture legibility/ alignment issues, and lack of initiative for adoption.


On the User Journey Map, I wanted to implement features onto the website by incorporating pictures of the animals that were provided on the Instagram that the owner is active on, as well as putting an education tab to allow users to read up on animals that are bought up for adoption. Additionally,  providing a zoom/skype with an expert to get more information about adoption, caring procedures, as well as general questions.

The prototype wireframes are my design, as I wanted to focus on using as much space, while also making it not too overbearing to look at. I wanted the carousel provide pictures of reptiles, and news that the owner may want to present. I also wanted to present animals that are up for adoption in the cards below, in order to show users interested iin adoption.


The mood board created was based on how the owner had her original website. Lots of pink. The mood board was to focus on creating more vibrant yet exciting colors to get the user interested on the site. 

Style tile was created on a pink monochromatic palette. The logo redesign is now a snake with the name of the nonprofit instead of the original website’s Texas logo. I wanted the design to look neat and organized while also being fun to interact visually with. 


Iteration 1


Iteration 2

iteration 3.png

Iteration 3


The final iteration of the redesign, we settled on a gradient since a solid background of the pink was overbearing for the users. Navigating through the website, users can easily find what they need in order to get the necessary information they need for animals, adoption, and contacting.


Usability testing  is simple and directed at making sure visitors to the mobile and the desktop websites were able to easily find the Adopt option. We all conducted low and high fidelity test on our users. While the first prototype had more feedback from my end, being the setup and how the information was laid out. They were able to do their tasks easily. For high fidelity, my users had no issues finding anything and found the color very eye catching and not too distracting.

Low Fidelity


High Fidelity


In summary...

The project was more design focused, as I noticed through multiple iterations of our design, that the colors and text choices would play a huge part in our decision making.  In the future, I want to test the high fidelity mock ups more, as the design still feels incomplete  and could use more input based on user needs. 
bottom of page